The official page for the Marshal major can be found here.
Marshals develop the most detailed understanding of the institutional functioning of the Magimundi, Magimundi law, and the necessary means to protect it from all its enemies, including advanced mind magic.
In the Magimundi, those who keep the peace for the Provinces are called Marshals and function similarly to a mundane police force. These individuals typically studied The Path of the Marshal at a Magischola, but not necessarily as special cases do exist.
The Path of the Marshal (Marshal students do not allow it to be referred to as the Marshal Path) is perhaps the most arduous and prestigious path of scholarship (according to Marshals anyway!). More than merely law enforcement, experience as a Marshal is considered to be a requirement for eligibility as a Province Justice. Marshal students must learn to become formidable magical combatants in addition to having a deep working knowledge of the nuances of magical law. Marshals have a special responsibility to enforce the Edicts of Justices, resolve contractual disputes, capture criminals, escort criminals to Avernus, and be its province’s standing military. Successfully graduating as an Accredited and Certified Wizard on the Marshal Path also does not necessarily mean that a student will actually be inducted into the Marshals. Membership usually requires some degree of patronage from a mentor. However there is no shortage of employment, with very lucrative Leeuwendaalder compensation, for a graduate with Marshal training. In addition to formidable magical combat prowess, Marshals specialize in mind magic, and should be consulted to determine whether a wizard’s mind has been invaded or altered, or to determine whether the allegation of possession or being under a curse is indeed accurate. There are strict rules that govern when and whether a Marshal can break into someone’s mind, but in the heat of a situation and a quest for answers, interrogation techniques may not always follow the law.
Types of Marshals
- Enforcers study the ways and means of violence and intimidation on behalf of clients to their specifications, typically working security for any number of companies in the Magimundi. At times they may be found working to help suppress activist organizations and intimidate rivals although this is not legally acceptable.
- The ambitious set who plays their cards carefully to ascend to the highest levels of the province government, seeking to become a Justice, and perhaps an Arch Justice in time. The political tides and sways of the Magimundi are typically of interest to those seeking to enter this field.
- Magical Lawyer
- Studies the nuances of Magimundi and Province Law to advocate for clients in cases before Justices. Magical lawyers are also referred to as advocates or counselors. An Advocate appears in place of the person at trial and makes arguments on their behalf. A Counselor can’t argue on someone’s behalf but can give them advice in how to argue their case. Counselors are generally less expensive and may even be provided by the Magimundi in many cases.
- Political Activist
- Studies provincial politics in order to push the direction of the Magimundi towards their chosen political allegiance. Some common causes taken up by political activists in the magimundi include cryptid rights (particularly that of the chupacabra, corporate responsibility (Foresight Enterprises being an example of an entity that has often come under fire), and inhumane and unjust legal proceedings in the Magimundi (typically referring to corruption and the privately owned prison complex, Avernus Prison).
- Secret Agent
- Focuses on surveillance and infiltration techniques to unearth secrets on behalf of the Provinces or of private clients. There is always information to be found in the Magimundi, either corporate sabotage from any number of businesses, private parties, or even someone to act in regard to tensions between the Magimundi and Virginia Isle, there is always someone who wants to know something. Sometimes for good intent, sometimes for bad.
- A well-rounded approach to regional or small community governance, includes those who merely wish to "keep it simple" or those who are attached to a particular community. Oftentimes those who work in this field will go on to become provincial Marshals, who work to carry out the law and detain criminals. This work is crucial to the function of the Magimundi.
- Well-Informed Criminal
- What better way to break the law than to be trained like a lawperson? A covert type, usually appearing to be any of the other Marshal types. Obviously those who seek to become a well-informed criminal do not advertise their goals, but they exist. And sometimes they seek to use their training and ill intent to infiltrate the government or the marshal service. They may find themselves working with enforcers, secret agents, healers of the ripper specialty, and/or with cryptozoologists of the harvester specialty, among others.