The official page for the Astromancer major at New World Magischola can be found here.
Astromancy is a study of the magical interpretation of information from the past, present, and future and from across the planes of existence, while delving into the arcane secrets of the mind. Those who study Astromancy are called astromancers.
Those who study to become an Astromancer learn to locate, interpret, protect, and convey information through magical means. Astromancy has been around for millennia and is one of the oldest and most diverse fields of magic. Students studying Astromancy learn a variety of techniques to divine information and truth from the world around them, including working with crystals, elements, metals, numeric divination through geomancy and arithmancy, reading natural signs such as the stars or planets, and channeling and receiving messages from other planes of existence. Some learn to be experts in matters of the mind: placing and removing memories, mind-reading and disturbance, and similar techniques, while others are consulted before important decisions or to interpret dreams and chains of events. Astromancers may work in altering states of consciousness, summoning spirits, and moving between planes of existence (such as interacting with Bèlmounae and Psythyros. Graduates with a specialization in astromancy may go on to work in the legal system dealing with matters of prophecies, or use their powers to assist in matchmaking, counseling, or consulting for a wide variety of interpretations and divinations. Modern Astromancers gifted in numerology also play an important role as magical economists, assisting Magisters and Justices with divining trends that affect future Magimundi policy.
Types of Astromancers
This field of study can be applied in many ways, some notable ones include:
- Court Mindreader
- Court Mindreaders seek to develop discerning magical ability to penetrate the minds of others with regard to truths and falsehoods. Often a key witness testimony during trials in in court.
- An arithmancy enthusiast, seems to use mathematics as the path to understanding all magical phenomena. They can find gainful employment in agencies that advise in the selection of names and in finding auspicious dates for occasions, as well as tracking data in the Millikens Market and numerous banks across the Magimundi. They oftentimes work alongside magical economists.
- Magical Economist
- This modern era diviner seeks to understand, predict, and influence the temperamental Magimundi Economy but also includes study of applying divination to any marketplace, particularly the Millikens Market, these astromancers typically find effective manners of increasing their wealth and acquiring leeuwendaalders.
- Focuses on using divination skills in direct interface with the physical world, usually to discover locations but also includes the properties of any physical object. Residents of Virginia Isle who attend Magischola are oftentimes working to study dowsing, it is believed that the Isle has particular use for this skill.
- Focuses on prophecy and divining significant future events and the nature of fate itself. Prophets oftentimes make great therapists- finding many different routes for someone. They are also highly sought after as executive assistants and advisors.
- Seeks to weaponize mind magic in the usual ways, includes pragmatic reasons like erasing memories to protect the secrecy of the Magimundi or for reasons of mere cruelty. The Magimundi Department of Secrecy and Clandestine Affairs employs a great deal of mindbreakers.
There are many highly respected, and even famous, astromancers in the Magimundi, this is simply a small selection of them.